South Dakota Chapter SWCS
COMMITTEE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
1. Prepare and regularly publish the chapter newsletter.
2. Keep the membership informed of chapter activities and events.
3. Advance chapter communications.
COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES AND WORK SCHEDULE:
1. Chair (newsletter editor) hold committee meetings and/or use other communication means each year to plan and coordinate publication of chapter newsletters.
2. Secure a photograph of the chapter president, and other 'officers and board of directors' members as directed, for newspaper publication purposes.
3. By December 1, consult with the chapter president-elect in the development of a newsletter information calendar for the coming year. (See Attachment A.)
Identify and schedule the following:
(a) Specific topics, reports, and/or announcements to be covered in each newsletter issue.
(b) Deadline for submitting copy to the newsletter editor.
4. Distribute copies of the completed newsletter information calendar to all members assigned news articles and to the board of directors.
5. Call or send reminder notices to scheduled "news writers" approximately 15 days prior to the deadline for submitting copy to the editor.
6. Prepare four chapter newsletters each year per the newsletter information calendar.
7. Send a request to the student chapter advisor asking for abstracts or short papers from student members for inclusion in the chapter newsletter at the beginning of the school year.
8. Type, proofread, and assemble news items received in a neat, orderly manner. Review and/or edit content
and length of all copy received to assure balance and appropriate space for all items scheduled for publication.
9. Submit in final form for printing to local printer. Retain a photocopy of news items submitted until newsletter is published.
10. Order eight extra copies of each published newsletter for use as follows:
(a) File copy for Newsletter Committee.
(b) Record copy for History Committee. (Forward to committee chair.)
(c) Send a copy of each newsletter to the six other chapter presidents in the Northern Plains Region.
11. Seek board of directors' approval for special newsletter projects that will expend chapter funds beyond the committee's normal budget.
12. Be alert to new printing and service opportunities offered for consideration by the committee and/or board of directors.
13. Obtain the mailing labels from the membership committee chair, who keeps the database current. Consult with the chapter president and/or board of directors on significant mailing list revision needs and proposals.
14. Prepare and present, as appropriate, committee activity reports at quarterly scheduled board of directors' meetings.
15. Forward all photographs on hand and used in newsletter issues during the year to the History Committee Chair for filing and recordkeeping purposes.
16. Prepare and present a final written report of committee activities and accomplishments at the chapter's annual business meeting.
1. The chair is selected and appointed each year by the chapter president.
2. Additional committee members are selected and appointed by the newsletter editor (committee chair) in consultation with the chapter president and board of directors.
3. All committee members must agree to serve before being appointed.